OK, Ready to set up equipment and start tweeking the board, Mics etc at my wifes Uncles Banquet Hall....I have basic cheapo cables at home for practice and experimenting...but now it's time to lay the bucks down for what is probably the most important purchase...the cables. I spoke with a sales rep/technician at our local music store the other day, and told him I wanted the best sound reproduction setup for the cables..but I wasn't going to buy the Monster studio quality cables...so here is what he said..and I'd like a common sense check from my synth zone friends before purchasing..
I have a powered Mackie subwoofer and 2 EVsxa 100 powered speakers. The guy I'm working for told me to buy 50' cables because some setups require that length. Tech told me that I should use 20 ft sections at most connected by a DI in between. He also said because I had powered speakers, I should use instrument cable with XLR balanced jacks, because speaker cables would carry too much noise compared to the shielded instrument cables. He also said the Monster 500 pro series with a lifetime warranty were best for my setup, because I can bring them back anytime and they replace the entire bad cable with a new one, on the spot, no receipt or packaging needed. So...
instrument cables VS speaker cables...can I not get shielded speaker cables??? Is the difference that instrument cables carry a clearer , less noisy signal than speaker cables? Are speaker cables primarily for systems that amplify a signal first, then push it to the speakers??
I'm just looking for the least noise and the clearest reproduction possible. I don't want noisy cables mucking up or adding to any other system noiise I may encounter...so...my friends...is this much to do about nothing, or does his recommendation work...speaker or instrument..and which one is best. Are there shielded speaker cable...which one works best with powered speakers...do I need to split the 50' length with a DI in the middle?
So much to learn and so little time....All recommendations are welcomed and appreciated..Thanks Brian