Quote:
Originally posted by Fran Carango:
Scott have you tried formatting an external drive via the Tyros[Does the Tyros have USB or SSCI ports to do this?]?

Hi Fran. The only HD you can format via the Tyros, is the one located in the keyboard.

The function of the Tyros USB connectivity (no SSSCI support) is to move data back and forth between your PC & the Tyros keyboard via the Yamaha PC Windows 'file utility' software program supplied by Yamaha.

Recently (OS 1.20) Yamaha added a new feature which enables your desktop Windows PC computer to see/access via Windows the Tyros hard drive as just another external USB HD device connected to your PC, enabling you to even more quickly & conveniently move data back and forth between your computer & the Tyros hard drive. With the addition of this feature, I suspect that it would be also possible to format the hard drive from your PC, but I definitely DON'T recommend doing it this way as I suspect this formating type might be incompatible with the Tyros OS and then not recognized by the Tyros. Perhaps someone else could shed more light on this.

This leads to a burning question I've been having. Since it's now possible to access the Tyros hard drive (as an external device) from your PC Windows desktop, I would think it would now be possible to use Symantec's 'SystemWorks' utilies such as: Norton Anti-Virus, Disk Doctor, and Speed Disk (file defragmenter & disk optimization) to maintain & optimize the Tyros hard drive now as well. It certainly would be a boom to be able to keep the Tyros hard drive in good working order via these useful Windows disk maintenance utilities. I'm reluctant to try this out though, unless I know it's safe, and that it would really work. Anyone know?

Scott