Playing on the fly....
Interesting topic. I guess, if I hear something, I can always get the basic feel of the song or piece, but to be honest, if I'm using it in a solo gig, I don't really sweat the intricate stuff too much, basically because it's gone by in an instant and is it really worth the time and effort to get it exactly as intended? I can't say I use cheat sheets for chord progression, but I do have a small binder, about 6"x3"(pocket size) to which I've affixed a velcro strip. this matches up with another strip on my top kb (T3). It's just got some key words and lyric lines to particularly long pieces, such as Don Henley or Billy Joel.
Getting back to the "On the Fly" topic...
I've found it fairly easy to work out the progressions in my head by using little "tricks". There are a lot of common every-day songs out there which we're all familiar with...ie "House of the Rising Sun", Yesterday, heck...even Smooth.
If you're quite proficient in the knowledge that a particular melody follows a well know progression, either in all, or in part, then it stands to reason that working out the chord progression without having a kb in front of you is relatively simple.
Think about it....
I know I'm gonna get an earful from Tek...but then that's a given.
U.D.??? your thots?

[This message has been edited by Leon (edited 01-27-2003).]