Despite the well-thought-out responses, we have to keep in mind that they are all coming from people that play arranger keyboards. I'm sure that if this were a non-arranger keyboard forum, you'd get quite a different set of opinions. Who'd be right? Nobody. Let's be honest. We're all constantly trying to justify our actions, validate our approach to music, even when nobody gives a damn. You want the truth? Name your ten favorite keyboard players. How many play arranger keyboard? But back to the original question. Are you faking it? The answer....some are, some aren't. If your intent is to deliberately deceive, whether or not ENTERTAINMENT is your goal, then yes, you are faking it. Of course, you don't need an arranger keyboard to do that, any old KB will do. So for me, "faking it" is 10% action and 90% intent. As a pilot, am I faking it when I shoot a perfect approach (in weather) with my very sophistocated auto-pilot? Do I get credit for operating the hell out of my auto-pilot? My passengers think so . The plane owner without an auto-pilot thinks differently. Soooo, tell me what answer you want, I'll tell you which forum to visit.

chas