A discussion in another thread lead me organize my thoughts about what we can learn from each other's contributions to this forum. Most contributions come in the form of a discussion, but there are a lot of other very revealing manners: audio and video.

Knowing the playing technique(s) used in the audio recordings is at least as important as listening to them, IMO. Again, in IMHO it's useless to attempt judging someone's performance based on the level of sophistication of the keyboard playing technique(s) used. Quality entertainment is
independent of the tool(s) used, so I believe.

However, some ways of playing my keyboard please/interest me more than others, but that remains what it is: a personal interest. Here are the things I believe I can learn/judge from each other's posted demos.

AUDIO CLIPS

a) Using SMFs

a.1 Singing along SMFs

quality of the voice, singer talent, quality of the mix, overall (sound) quality of the performance.

a.2 Playing along SMFs

"pianistic" qualities of the performer (playing one instrument all over the keyboard), quality of the mix, overall sound quality of the performance.

a.3 IF the Midis are produced by the performer itself

additionaly we can have hints and judge on musical arranging art, sequencing techniques, software or keyboard sequencing tool mastering. a good sequencing job is very revealing about the musical skills of the performer.

b) Using Styles

additionally to all the above (except a.3): knowledge of the instrument, musician skills, specific arranger keyboard playing techniques (if explained).

VIDEO CLIPS (with sound)

Additionally to the above...

a) If we CAN'T see the hands of the performer and the keyboard

appearance, attitude on stage, act style, entertaining skills, details about equipment

b) If we HAVE a CLOSEUP of the keyboard and the hands of the performer

many details about the playing techniques can become much more clear than in audio demos: fingering choices, live interaction with the arranger features, mastering of the keyboard possibilities.

All of these forms are very useful but some allow us to learn more things than others. Of course, the discussion can cover the whole territory. Please add others or disagree if you like...

-- José.