Jane states that she would like to get away from the "cheesy dated styles of the i3". In suggesting the X1, I am suggesting the keyboard I think has the best styles first, and at a less expensive price than the SD1. I also think that most players would still rather have an internal pair of speakers rather than not any. I also didn't see that 76 keys was an issue since the i3 is the same size as the X1 (although there are no speakers in the i3).
Also, the suggestion that the SD1 has replaced the X1 or that Ketron will stop "growing" the operating system of the X1 is just not the case. I've said this before....these two keyboards are different and are part of the Ketron Line. Just becasue the X1 has been out for 2 years now, it does not make it an obsolete product. It is still and will continue to be a top notch keyboard. What has happened recently is that the price has dropped a bit so that the SD1 and the X1 would not be at exactly the same price. Most companys, including Roland and Yamaha will restructure their price points after a product has been in the market for awhile and as other products come out. Let me use the Roland JV1080 as an example. We've had these out now for several years and when the JV2080 came out the price was reduced by approx. 20% and when the XV3080 was introduced last year, the price was reduced again. This is still a current sounding product used by most studios but the price needed adjusting to accomodate other newer released products and by no means was this product not up to the current standards.It is still currently in the Roland price list for July, 2001. Another example I often use for my sales staff is that just because something has been around my store for awhile, it doesn't mean that this is not going to be the best product for someone walking in the store. It's so easy for salespeople to get all hung up on the latest and greatest products and forget about the models that are still displayed on the sales floor. I understand the excitment over new products, but this doesn't make models introduced a year or two ago undisireable. If the product sounds great and the price is competitive, I always tell the guys to remember not to just demonstrate this new latest one and try to remember the customers needs and wants. When you are in sales and you've spent months showing certain models, it because exciting to move on to the newest one. However, that person walking into a store for the first time since buying a keyboard 6 years ago, would think any keyboard you show them would be fantastic. I hope this helps explain a few things and why I try to listen to what a customer's needs are rather than just getting excited over the newest model.
George Kaye
Kaye's Music Scene
Reseda, California
(Retired 2021)