I don't know where the Nashville term came from, but I know we we're using it in the 50's and I never heard it called that at that time. I now notice that BIAB refers to it as the Nashville whatever. Maybe someone can share some light on this.

The guy I learned it from was leaning heavily toward jazz at the time even though we were doing Fats Domino, Frogman Henry and Ray popular tunes with that band. "What"d I Say" was probably the most over-all popular tune at that time. It might have been in the early sixties. I can't even remember what I had for breakfast an hour ago. But I don't forget music and how to swim or ride a bike. Why is this so?

Dave if you make light of it like everyone should know this after two weeks of training, the ones that don't know will be embarrassed and won't inquire. Don't forget, we like inquiring minds here.

I have a buddy who can play Maliguinah, (Gary how in the heck do you spell that?) on a mandolin, but doesn't have the slightest idea what we are discussing here.. Some people really strictly play by ear. Perhaps if they worked at it for a while and see that anyone can learn the basics about music, they will learn, and the music world will be a better place.

In the song of this discussion, the chord before the tonic chord at the end of the bridge and each turn around is not a bIIm7#9 but a bII7#9.

A person can even use a V7 if he wants to, but on the recording it is not the bIIm7#9 but a bII7#9(Db7#9). Don't forget, I'm talking the key of C here. I don't know what key the record is in. We are discussing the Numeral system thus saying the II7#9 chord is the same in any key. We don't have to spell it out. That is the simplicity of the Roman Numeral system.

If you are confused, in the key of C, the notes are Db, F, Ab, B, and E. The raised ninth is the E note of course. That comes before the tonic chord(C)throughout the song in the key of C. It might be beneficial to mention that at the end of the turn around on the last two beats, you play V7 (G7) for one beat and then you play the bII7#9 (Db7#9) for one beat.

Man if I catch too much slack for this, I'm gonna refrain from the Roman Numeral system and just spell the chords out.

[This message has been edited by brickboo at least 100 times and probably is still confusing.(edited 01-05-2005).]

[This message has been edited by brickboo (edited 01-05-2005).]