Chas, i think I have figured out why there are a lot of B's, instead of C's in this area. For generations, there was one family that basically produced all the superior jazz and gospel keyboard musicians. It is the Maphson family, and every one of the members can outplay the best in the area. Superior jazz players go to audition and get the back-up position. Most churches also have a Rhodes or grand and a full complement of bass, horns, choir, guitar, etc. The matriarch is an 80 year old 80 lb lady who really "cooks" on a B...can outplay me with one hand and one boney little leg! Every person is the caliber of a Jimmy Smith. I think that one family made the choice to use B's instead of C's.

I think it's a topical issue, sort of like the church in St. Louis, where robert Randolph (man, he can cook and is a decent person) learned pedal steel from a number of older, extremely competent lap and pedal steel players. Steel is the instrument of choice in that church, but not any others that I know of.

I have a "cherry" C which was purchased by a Methodist church where a member donated a Rogers. The C and accompanyting tone cabinet and Leslie has less than 6 months use, and has been moved only once. It doesn't have a mark on it.

In country churches in Kentucky, old Hammonds rule!

R.