Hi,
Having owned all the keyboards mentioned, I now have the PA 80 as my only board. I also have a Triton Rack still. If anyone is interested in the sound difference for their own ears, I have samples from all of them on my site. http://terry95829.tripod.com/terrynewagejazz/id4.html
Here's what to look for:
A couple are full length, sorry for the download time, but I think you'll get a good feel for how the different boards sound.
On the latest work page (the link above:
"Rebirth" is done on my PA80
"Love After Dark" on a Motif
Short cuts on the recent work page
"Strugglin' To Survive"
"On The Fringe" both done on the Karma I had.
On the samples from several cd's page:
"Brazilian Blue"
"In A Trance" Were both done on a PSR 9000.
In answer to the other post, here's my take on the different boards having come full circle. I started with the 9000, thought I was missing something and traded it in on the Karma got bored with and hated the cutting edge sounds in it and traded it in on a Motif, thinking it would be mellower having owned the 9000. It really isn't, I think a lot of the sounds like the pianos and such are great, but over all again way to cutting edge for what I do. Anyway, traded the Motif in on the PA 80 and I love it.
Here's some of the things I realized along the way, first by a board who's sounds fit the type of music you are doing. I think the Motif and Karma are much more suited for techno, hip hop, dance music and like that.
I think the 9000 and the PA 80 are much more suited to easier listening things.
The PA 80 does have a lot of the Triton sounds, but also has a lot more mellower easy listening sounds, which are suited to my work, which is latin to contemporary jazzish, with the occasional venture into new age jazz.
The other MAJOR difference to me is, are you an arranger or workstation sort of person? The arrangers are far far easier to operate, albeit, they are more limited. The work stations are far far more complex, to the average person. If you're a techie perhaps it'll be fine, if not you're in for some real frustrating hours. I've been there and finally realized, I'm an arranger sort of guy.
Hope this helps and enjoy, if you listen to my work,
Terry