I wouldn't recommend getting into a fight with ASCAP and BMI. You'd lose. As far as nursing homes, corporate events, etc, officially, someone must pay. Hotels generally pay to have music of all varieties, including recorded music played. When you sign up for Musak or other service, the liscensing is included. Several years ago, the targets were office buildings. Then, professional offices (doctors, dentists, etc.). One year, there was a problem of playing liscensed music and video at the Consumer Electronics Show, of all places. My client had to pay or not demo sound systems.

In reality, I can't imaging ASCAP or BMI going after nursing homes, but it is possible.

Around here, ASCAP comes to town every month or so, and checks the newspaper, marques and entertainment guides. Then, they lean on owners of establishments, not the musicians.

Believe me, I've met and dealt with these guys. They're rough and well funded.

Fees are to compensate composers and performers, and there is a formula which supposedly figures compensation for every sale of printed material and every broadcast or performance. How that happens, no one knows. I have been dealing with these goons for more years than I can remember.Of course, the safe way is to play unliscensed/original music. That would be no problem.The official response is "how else can performers and composers get fairly compensated for their work"?

Russ