Quote:
Originally posted by acctjm:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by The Pro:
[B]FWIW: In the October 2004 issue of Keyboard magazine on Pg 14 is a short blurb under "20 Years Ago Today" regarding a 1984 Keyboard article about a little known ...

Pro,

By coincidence I happened to find that issue (or some followup issues/articles) while cleaning out the basement a few months ago. Wasn't there some controversy stirred up when some people interpreted the article to mean that there would be a whole slew of 'planetarium gigs' that would be available to synthesists?

Yes - I was a total newcomer to planetarium-anything and some of the established performers in that field were quick to defend their turf. Also, the people running planetariums didn't want their facilities being seen as entertainment venues rather than the education centers they were designed and funded for (although many were doing "Pink Floyd Friday Nights" to raise money). They ran off tight budgets and were not going to be seen as the hot new market for synth acts. The production company I worked with thought it was a good venue to showcase a guy with synthesizers, an A/V background and a spaceship and thought my performing there would look good to potential record company execs, so that's what I did but I only did a few. Got me 14 1/2 minutes of fame.