Squeek,
I added this sentence after reading this all.. enter at your own risk... I was hoping this would be easier than soloing through a II-V-I without a cliche...I must be crazy...

I am right with you, just watching and holding them transcends all other forms of Love. It took me a while to realize that everything is family, that my wife is every bit of what the kids are to me. I hear the pride and love in your message. And I agree that being a grand parent must be an enlightening experience as both our parents are just crazy for our daughters and their response to them shows.

I have 17 month old twin girls. I am Italian American and my wife is Filipina. We wondered about their features and they fooled us both, we got one that looks exactly like my niece when she 15 months and one that looks like Mom (although when the Filipina girl toots my wife swears theres some of me in there). One walked at 10 months (I should say runs) and the other didnt until 15 months. When I took her to the Doc because her left foot was crooked, afer checking the foot he bent her arm so that her open palm reached the the middle of her back. I almost lashed out but she didnt. turns out her whole body has soft ligaments... no wonder we had to hold the bottle for so long. When she finally walked I was so darned proud it made me cry and her left foot started straightening and they are now both upnatem.

They keep you worried though, and we decided to go lightly on the intensive study and heavy on the Love for their first couple of years.

Just remember, it isnt really a good idea to try to place them against standards. Its hard but I can only explain like this...

My brother started out great- Grades 1 through 6 excellent report cards and comments and never missed a single day (has a certificate)...he never made it past high school and decided to try to be a rocknroll star. It was a valient effort and he made some albums and his drumming made even the most conservative admire him and say he did not waste his time.. at least (well he is doing well now in NC) but there is no telling.

OUr good family friends some 14 years ago had 3 boys really fast. They cut milk cartons and read ABC's and story and low and behold it appeared to work- they were genius's.... 14 years later, the kids are fighting, one hit his mother with a fist, the father left and wants no part of it, Mom cry's everyday that everything is out of control....

My old friend Jimmy who was the runt to nearly 13 years old is now 6'3"" and can throw me farther than he can trust me and that happened before he made it out of high school. I am glad I was nice to him (actually he wouldnt hurt anyone- less they draw blood). All those years truly centered as the little one to hurting with a hug.

Want another??? theres more and I am sure your stories are out there. Obviously my brothers situation merely indicates too strong of bragging will get your long term friends snickering. In the other case I always believed it was that famouse New York Long Island "look at me" materialistic attitude and no internal substance (just from knowing them a long time before that) that was the eventual downfall of the family- I still blame the parents- should have looked at themselves instead of how they might look to others. Its just that biding your time and providing the right things will get you a chance to finish will a good feeling in your heart.

Point is, its family, its realizing a man can never win (boy is my relationship better with that one).. but seriously it is as a man to care for the family including the well being of the souls within the family. It is really your cool head, your outlook towards them, how they see you, how you get them to love and respect you that will hopefully prevent talk about child support, other evironmental factors like money, bad influences outside the home. Its you as the man who will allow your wife to who may spend most of the time with the kids (my case anyway) to give unconditional love and affection on a daily basis that hopefully, hopefully your kids will have that support securely in their mind, body and spirit and still not be a nerd.

I have learned a lot as you might have. I have studied hard, drawn upon the experience of my own loving family, remembered so many others as I lived in Europe, California, stays in the Philippines and reading an awful lot of the Good Book.

I just want to chip in my two cents that winning the ribbon at the field day is a good thing as long as it is not the most important thing. You can deliver a well balanced Republican (ooops) into the world but it will take consistency each and every day with the same guidance from Daddy.

I hope this was not offensive in any way, it is not meant to be, I tried to be generic, show my own pride for my kids and wisdom not only from me but collected from others (my Dad is so religious some people call him the second coming, however he prefers "Mandolin Man").

Be proud and be a good husband and father, be cool in hard times, sometimes just let it go your wifes way..no matter what you think is right, look at yourself from outside the box and see if your keeping things best for your little girl, you really need that view, leave your stress outside the house no matter what the cause. You are Daddy and even to your wife you are the biggest thing in their lives... and for your kids you are their God until they come to know another.... if you are not then get outside the box and fix it. It is only Love, simple and pure in the beginning... spank them later if you like but for now your little girl deserves only the best of you and that is what God intended for you (sorry).

Ah its good to get it out, now I just have to keep reminding myself the same for we are weak and dumb us men. I fail and learn and fail and learn but my Dad told me long ago it all really comes from inside you- no outside factors can get at your soul if you remember that its there. I guess thats the key.. awareness...boooooo

Okay I had fun and I learned a bit but its your post, so obviously prideful and thought inspriring.

Guitarman and from my Dad, from whom I learned much- Mandolin Man