I have a PSRS900 at my store which I have been playing for two days.
You are wrong about the bass ports. The ports are right under the grills on both sides.
The volume of the speakers on my unit are also loud and clear. Actually, louder than the 3000. I'm guessing the one at GC you played probably had he volumes down at the mixer level of the screen so that if ou turned up the master volume you were not hearing the full volume.
In fact, I thought my stagepass 300 volume was up loud today when I was trying to talk to a customer and when I walked over to the 900 I was surprised to see that it was all coming from the internal speakers.
To say the only upgrade is the SA voices and some cosmetics is just not true.
First, you have USB audio recording. Yamaha has added a dedicated button for controlling the leslie speed. You also get a brand new effects processor in this model and a new , just realeased Rhodes piano voice. The styles are more plentiful, better with the use of the SA voices. There are also alot of brand new multi pad setups featuring acoustic guitar loops, etc. There is also now the ability to load text files into this model, like the Tyros2 can do but the 3000 couldn't do. I'm sure there are more things I'm missing.
I have a lot of experience with all the arranger keyboards and I'm very excited about this new keyboard. As in the past, Yamaha doesn't usually reinvent the wheel when they come out with new models, and I think they did a great job here for anyone who doesn't already own the 3000 or tyros2 and for many who like to upgrade, I think you will be quite impressed.
I'm sorry there was a problem with the one Beakybird received, but in no way do I think there is a built quallity issue here. I think it's just a misfortunate thing that happened probably in transit.

------------------
George Kaye
Kaye's Music Scene
Reseda, California
818-881-5566
www.kayesmusicscene.com
(Retired 2021)