Last year Generalmusic released a new product called the Promega 3. I looked at it and honestly walked right by thinking it was going to be a more expensive, larger version of the Pro 2 Piano. Even a friend of mine at Generalmusic, who tried to get me to look at it seemed to think it might not be right for my store. Boy, were we both wrong. I had not heard another word about this piano except for some advertising spots in Keyboard Magazine until later that year when in June I was invited to tour the Generalmusic Factory in Italy with about 12 other music dealers. It was here that I was re-introduced to the Promega piano and was given a thorough explanation about the DRAKE chips which were used in the Promega and not in any other Generalmusic Pianos. You can read all about the technology in the Generalmusic website but let me tell you what my customers think.....This is the best, most realistic Piano on the market. It offers the most realistic ambient sounds of any of the pianos. Most players think that the Yamaha, Roland, Korg pianos sound more like closely mic'd pianos, but the promega sounds like you are in the room with a concert grand with no mics near the piano. The playability is amazing because of the new concept of harmonic modeling used in the drake chip. This means that only 1 sample needs to be used per key because all the characteristics of playing the piano are created in physical modeling thus not hearing where one sample starts and another starts.
I have sold many of these to some of the best session and studio players here in LA. Last week we delivered a Promega 3 to Herbie Hancock. Players with very discriminating tastes are in love with the Promega.
The Promega 2 is a lighter, less expensive with most of the same features as the Promega 3.
George Kaye
Kaye's Music Scene
Reseda, California
(Retired 2021)