Hi Diki,
personally I'm finding fill 1, seems to work best with var 1 & 2, Fill 2 ( more complex) with vari 3 & 4. Fill 1 does also sometimes work with vari 3 & 4, but I think fill 2 tends to sound too busy for var1 1.

Korg variations work more like the yamaha keyboards in that they start off simple with vari 1, vari 2 is a bit more complex ( fuller) building up to vari 4 which is the busiest.

Rolands are different from what I remember? ie you basically have 2 lots of 2 variations. "A" has a simple & complex variation, "B" has a simple & a complex variation. A & B are usually quite different?? (correct me if I'm wrong)
You probably would need at least 4 fills because a fill for the B type variation probably wouldn't suit an A type variation, and also a simple A type fill wouldn't suit
the fuller complex version & vice versa.

I think maybe that's why the korg basically can get away with just the 2 fills ( plus break). Also a lot of the styles are fairly long & varied. They don't sound static. Maybe not as much need to add a fill to vari them.
Also Korgs have up to 6 cv's per variation.
We're not just stuck with having a variation for a maj chord, min or 7th chord , there's 3 additional chord types that can be programed. That in itself can add variety to a variation.

Haven't had a chance to check how many styles use more than the main 3.
Great part is the style can be as simple or complex as one wants.
For the amatuer like myself the variations & fills can be programmed on one chord type
maj7 (same as the earlier psrs) or for EMC conversions , which I also play around with,
I'll have variations for maj, min, & 7th chords. Don't know if I'll ever get round to doing parts for the additional 3 chord types, but they're always there & no doubt korg will use them in programming some of their styles.

best wishes
Rikki
p.s
maybe the fills do sound differrent at timesbecause I think they also have the 6 chord type variations.

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Diki:
[B]

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022