I'm still using the same old fake book from 30 years ago (maybe more). A good portion of it is hand-transcribed and a good portion of it is totally inaccurate (as though some musician wrote down what he THOUGHT the chords should be) but there isn't much in it to "read" but the chords and the lead. I've only ever used it for standards (mostly jazz standards) as you can figure out the changes to most "modern" music in about 30 seconds.

As far as putting a "stamp" on what I play, definitely. Everything I play sounds like a minor blues full of Horace Silver riffs and occasional sprinkles of tasteful Hank Jones stuff; most often (these days) played over a semi-funky jazz fusion arrangement. I do play things differently, though, depending on whether I'm playing piano or organ. All my organ stuff is straight out of the Jimmy Smith(RH)/Groove Holmes(bass) handbook. I'm sure everyone steals from their major influences. I sure do. BTW, I do also love that "balls to the wall" rock organ style (think early Santana, have forgotton the organ players name - old age).

chas