sk880user,

You have several possibilities to let a different sound play depending on how soft/hard you play. I do not know which parameters the SK exactly has, but I expect at least the same as in the S-series. On the S, you can create a Drum kit. In a drumkit, the user can specify for each key (C1-C8) which sound (not only drum sounds are possible, but all sounds) must be played. In fact, the user can specify TWO sounds per key, the one played for example in the key velocity range from 0-60 and the second from 61-127. Such a drumkit acts as one really powerful soundpatch.
Another possibility on the S (must be on the SK also I think) is to create two tracks in a performance and divide the key velocity range between the two tracks. In that case, the range can also overlap: 0-70 for track 1 and 60-127 for track 2 for instance. Of course you can add another track, track 3 and divide for instance from 0-50, 40-80, 70-127. Drawback: each "layer" takes one track.
Again another possibility on the Equinox (maybe also on the SK, I do not know) is to create more than one layer in the sound patch, and to divide the velocity range between those layers.

How to create the coolest Piano sound?? The problem is that I am already a bit satisfied with the standard piano in the Equinox, but most users of GEM instruments are not satisfied I agree. The options you have are: Use the sample translator, or buy the Bosendorfer Piano sound (I believe this is an S Sound disk, must be really good, but takes more than one meg of sample ram) and replace the piano sound with the new one.
When you want to create the best piano with the sounds already present in the SK, then I say: use the drumpatch and/or sound layers. On the Equinox there is a pianosound (MKPiano I believe) that mixes a pianosound and a hammer-sound, sounds nice, but again especially in the higher regions.
When creating a drumkitpatch, you can keep the standard piano for the lower and higer regions and a "new" piano for the middle.

Changing the basic sound of the piano can be done via the filters (Cut Off/Resonance). I always have the Cut Off parameter connected with an analog pedal (I connected my standard volume pedal to the Pedal 1 port, and configured this Pedal to be Analog and assigned the Cut Off parameter to it). Changing the Cut Off parameter makes a sound changing between dark and bright. This is really nice with a sound like the Strings. Maybe that's what you want with the piano sound, to make it more dark or bright in the middle?
(Also try out the Resonance, but watch out for your speakers!!)

I wished there was an electronic version of the SK manual, like there is for the Equinox so I could read the specs of the SK...

I hope I helped you at least a bit!

[This message has been edited by Equinox61user (edited 04-07-2000).]