DonM,
I would basically agree with what Uncle Dave said. I currently play a PSR-730 and currently waiting to get the new PSR-9000 when it is available in US. I also had the opportunity to play the Solton X1 for a week. There is no way you can compare a keyboard in the PSR-730/740 class to a professional level keyboard such as the X1, Yamaha 8000/9000, or other manufactures top line arranger keyboards. Don, I think that you could call the 740 "semi-pro". I guess it all depends on how you use it and what are your expectations. If I were going to make a living either full-time or part-time, I would definitely move up to the "pro" class keyboards. Since I mostly play for my own benefit, I am now ready after 4 years of playing the high-end home keyboards to move up to the pro level where I will be able to have a lot more flexibility in terms of being able to customize sounds and styles, as well as take advantage of some of the standard features of built-in sampling, sequencing, harmonizers, etc. that are not as well implmented on the home models.

When trying to make up your mind about what product to buy, especially the pro-level equipment, I feel the most important quality is dealer and vendor support. George Kaye is a good example of how to provide customer support the "right way" and should serve as an exmample to other dealers on what they need to do for their customers, if they want to have a long-term relationship & and repeat business from them. As you probably aready know, many dealers and music store/Internet sales people are just interested in making the quick sale.

So what ever keyboard you finally decide upon, be sure to check out the credentials of the dealer. This forum is a good place to get more info on what experiences that other users have had with the dealers from whom they bought their equipment.

Remember, what you buy must please YOU!