Notlos (Dirk)-
Your ‘Summer Class’ songs sound superb (as usual). I particularly like your detailed description on ‘how’ you arranged and played each of the songs on your Solton X1 arranger keyboard. Your topic thread here is exactly the direction I was hoping this discussion board would eventually move towards . . .

I 100% agree with you that it is better NOT to use the keyboard’s "pre-arranged" intros and endings as they tend to end up sounding like a ‘canned’ formula. As you have demonstrated so well, there are many ways to come up with original intros and endings. One is by vamping on 2 chords for 4 or 8 bars, another is to improvise an intro melody over the last four bars (chord changes) of the song and use turnaround chords (II-V7 or IV-V7 or II – bII7)) to bring you to the beginning (I chord) of the tune. There are many other possibilities as well: chromatic chord progression, tri tone substitutions, chord tensions (9, 11, 13th) and alterations (b9, #11) etc.

Kirk, I really like how you play in split mode and use the right hand to play in the right section and then jump briefly to the left section to play an attack using the left section sound. Great effect. I look forward to trying it. I am curious though if doing this changes the left section 'chord recognition' briefly because of these added notes played briefly by the right hand?

Notlos, On Spanish Eyes, I like how you include the 9th; But I’m curious when you say you say you don’t play the root chords. Are you saying you are not including the root note in your chord voicings or? Please clarify.

I really enjoy the flute played in unison with the vibes on Masquerade. Very nice sound.

Playing lead with 6th harmony below (on Perfidia) sounds great. Your live playing during the factory ending demonstrates very well how important it is to play both chords & notes. Without you playing LIVE here, the ending might have sounded canned.

Dirk, thanks again for sharing your excellent song arrangement tips and arranger style playing advice. I hope this opens up our forum to include MORE discussion of the actual ‘playing aspect’ of arranger keyboards, and not just comparing the latest keyboards. Arranger keyboard “playing” is a unique skill which includess the potential for many different styles of playing. I hope we can expand our discussion here to include not only sharing our arranger keyboard produced songs with each other, but also discussing ‘how’ we create our songs. I plan to add another song to my website soon and will include some words on how I arranged/played that as well. I hope other forum members will also come forward to share and exchange playing ideas.
- Scott http://scottyee.com