Its nice to find another Ensoniq SD 1 owner!

I always wondered just how far the Giebler utilities could take you.

I think using any of the utilities already mentioned must be easier than my way, which I will tell you about anyhow

I've used Cakewalk/Sonar to "record" midi files being played them back on the SD1.

You can get Cakewalk / Sonar to "record" on all midi channels simultaneously, and to record the channels to separate tracks; just create a song with 16 tracks, one for each track.

You have to edit the song/sequence on the SD1 so that all the tracks are output to midi rather than using internal voices. If you use song tracks as well as sequence tracks you could have up to 24 tracks in total; I've never got so complex with my songs but if you have this issue then maybe you could record all the sequence tracks first then the song tracks?

Once you have a song setup in Cakewalk to record on the channels you want, and the SD1 is ready to go, ARM all the tracks on the PC, set Cakewalk/Sonar to use external midi clock, click record in Cakewalk then Play on the SD1 and hopefully the tracks will be recorded. The PC tracks do not get "filled" until the sing has stopped on the SD1 and you click "STOP" on the PC so don't worry about that.

Regrettably cakewalk does not do the remap job; however you could write a "CAL" script to do the job. I initially tried this but CAL script is a bit odd and I gave it up as a bad job (even though I'm a Systems Analyst/Programmer for the day job!). It isn't that hard to remap the drums by hand; use the piano roll view and you can select a song's worth of a single note by clicking on the note name in the left hand column. Then you can drag the entire set of the single note to a different note by clicking on the first note in the set and moving the mouse to the new note name.

Selecting the track voices in Cakewalk is easy enough; I used the track names in Cakewalk to hold the voice name used on the SD1 so I don't forget the mapping when editing multiple sequences.

Hope this helps.

John