Zalman. I agree. We need to work with musicians we 'feel comfortable' playing with. I never include, especially 'on a paying gig' musicians I've never actually heard play, or rehearsed with, before. The only rare exception would be if I got a glowing recommendation about them from a fellow pro musician I've actually performed with, and knows what I expect.

As far as the guitarist on this specific gig in the video. We actually have worked together before, so I knew pretty much what to expect. I had originally booked a sax player for this gig, but he had to cancel last minute due to illness, leaving no time to actually rehearse with the guitarist. I emailed him charts 2 nights before, so all things considered, overall, I think it worked out well. The client was happy. I got paid with the promise of another upcoming gig booking. Performing (both interacting with the audience), and playing with other musicians, requires flexibility to bring out the best of the members of your band. The trick to performance success is also knowing how to read your audience and their mood, Once you do this, you'll have them in the palm of your hands. - Scott