Dnj - I had both a T1 and an XD3 a little while ago. It was hard letting the XD3 go as it was exceptional when playing more upbeat "in yer face" styles and music largely due to the drums as I'm sure you know.

However, I now gig with just a T2 and, although it isnt quite as good as the Ketron for drums, these are now much improved so I'm a happy bunny as I now only cart a single k/b around.

But the main thing I now like is the multi-sampled voices that Yamaha call SA. Although these have been around for a while on pro synths and samplers they are now in a convenient single package along with the VH and effects that you used to have outboard gear for.

The exception missing from the T2 is a multi strike piano sound. You can get this on Roland's arrangers by adding the SRX board and may be available on other makes as well.

The piano is such a staple sound that I think it is the most important voice on an a/k. Don't get me wrong - the Yammy Piano is alright with a bit of EQing especially in a mix but they do have better pianos on their clavinovas and EPs

I still had to tweak a lot of the T2 styles as I find they had too much reverb for my taste especially when playing in a room of any size with natural accoustics.

I find the improved keyboard and better VH welcome as is the ability to display text file lyrics (like all the Ketrons do).

I bought a cheap hard drive and memory off ebay and fitted these but haven't really tried out the HD recording or sampling stuff yet as it's just a frilly extra for me.

If you are serious then beg, steal or borrow a T2 for a couple of days and check it out for yourself.

Just to close - I very nearly got rid of the T1 when I first got it 'cos it didn't do what the Ketron did - However, it did a hell of a lot of other things the Ketron didn't so I kept both. I never felt that when I first got the T2 - I really liked it from the start and still do. It may be because I have got used to Yamaha sounds now and it has only been 10 weeks but my interest in any new keyboard usually wanes after 3 or 4 weeks and I have been selling or playing them for over 30 years so I've had a few.

Hope this helps.

Regards - Keith