Hi all

After a few months reading this forum and appreciating more and more the variety of themes and the excellent tips by professionals (thanks a lot Henry for your mail!) especially also for newbies as me, it's time to introduce myself:

May name is Hansruedi, I live in Switzerland
and use a Solton SD1 and CW Sonar (the german version)for hobby and like them both very much.

I however have still a slight problem in using both components successfully together
and hope, that somebody can explain me, whether one side has a bug or whether I
interact them in the wrong way.

1. All midi files created on SD1 and immediately re-played on the KB work fine, irrespective of sounds, presets and programs used, ie I don't need to bother about GM and non-GM sounds and drums.

2. Based on this experience I expected the SD1 to re-play Sonar-corrected midi files the same way, provided I corrected only a few wrongly played notes with Sonar (nothing else): but this is a wrong.

3. Now I did a simple test (the option in the SD1 sequencer was set to GM midi = Yes):
I recorded on the SD1 a midi file
with "Record" (ie not with the internal sequencer) and copied it via diskette to the PC.
4. I opened the original midi file in Sonar
and saved it under a different file name (without any modification), in order to have it ready for later corrections.

5. In this process of saving Sonar adds 1-2 tracks and inserts a few sysex/program changes being imho responsible for wrong sounds, sometimes for the
right hand only, sometimes for the accompaniment. The drum sounds on tracks 9 + 10 re-play always correctly. (I tried both out, saving as midi file 0 or 1, midi file 0
lead to an error if opened in SD1)

This means, a midi file is corrupted by Sonar
without any user modification. I was not able yet to figure out, under what circumstances, does it depend, what sounds are used?

6. When I save the opened file on itself, ie using the same file name, again without any user modification, Sonar freezes and I have to re-boot the PC. (But I can live with this of course)

I contacted the hotline in Germany and they adviced me to set

GeneralMIDISMFs=0

in the file TTSSEQ.ini, but it had no effect.

IMHO Sonar should leave completely untouched
a midi file, if not modified intentionally
by the user and the SD1 would re-play such a file correctly, irrespective whether a sound is on track 1 only or split up on tracks 13-16. The manual says, that midi files created with "Record" match always GM standards.

Last but not least I'm desperately looking for instrument definitions (would even pay
a reasonable price for it), but imho they wouldn't help for above problem.

Sorry for the long thread, but what am I doing wrongly? Is the only work-around having the manual with its midi definitions ready when making music?

Brgds
Hansruedi