I've had my Mackies for about a month now, and they are positivly the best out there. I've been reading about how everyone wants a lighter, more portable system for small gigs, and I USED to think that way till I got these. Frankly - I'm spoiled, and just don't WANT to listen to any other options. Here's the deal with how I break up my system for different size setups:
I use a pair of 450's, my keyboard, and a three space rack bag (loaded with a Toa mixer, Sony minidisk, & Digitech harmonizer)
I have a USS IQ1000 (x-stand) and I hang the rack bag from the front two arms, placing all my controls directly UNDER my hands. I never have to turn my head to make adjustments or load disks for breaks of backups. I pre-recorded about 10 hours of tunes with ME playing back up and singing harmony onto MD's - now I can "front" the digital band with guitar, clarinet, flute or piano, whatever I want and the sound is the same as if I played it with ME as a sideman.
I also have my wireless mic reciever in the pocket of the rack, so in three spaces, I have FOUR pieces of gear that are essential to my show.
** For a med to large venue - I use it all and it's kicks serious butt.
** For a smaller venue - I route the mixer outputs directly INTO my keyboard's sound system (internal) and then I have a great "in my face" monitor that contains the full mix of vocals, keyboard and MD - all in stereo. I ten run a single cord OUT of the keyboard INTO one Mackie on the floor, just to add fullness. This is not a bad alternitive, and it's still easy to cart around in one trip with a good dolly. I use a Rock & Roller cart - very versitle.
** For nursing homes, cocktail hours etc.... I just use the rack bag going INTO the keyboard and I have plenty of control and quality at a very reasonable volume level.
This means - I never have to re-load the car to accomodate each particular gig, an I always have the right gear with me. With one Mackie......even if you do get a surprise attack of crazies, and have to crank it up - it'll do the deed. The best part of the system is having all the PA and FX controls right at my hands. This is the tiniest, most efficieant use of space that I can come up with. I don't take up any more room tnan a speaker at a podium. It's very important when playing the "outside" curcuit, like I do. I rarely have a real stage, and space is ALWAYS at a premium. I always stand for my shows - it makes a better presentation, it's easier to sing, and I have more elbow room when I pick up the guitar too - HOWEVER - for a "leGit" type look, the Mackie is JUST the right height to sit on if that is the look I'm after. I don't like to sit....It takes me OUT of the control factor. I like to be the ring leader and it's much easier if I can have a little freedom of movement.
I only use two footpedals (a dual pedal)
One for sustain, one for Harmonixer ON/OFF.
That's the only odd part - the balancing act on the left foot. I wear out the soles of my right shoes soooo much faster than the left. Anyone else have this problem?