Quote:
Originally posted by SYNTH_GUY:
Since alot of the members here use PC speakers on gigs or home use, I think you really should look into the Klipsch THX speakers and make a comparison to the popular Logitechs. I happen to own the 4.1 which are 4 satelites and dual 8" woofers. The 2.1 should be excellent for practice and small crowds, they have actual horns!

I own the Klipsch PRO Media 2.1 speakers/w Subwoofer. They are great speakers for a PC because of their ability to reproduce pristine sound from music or audio from a video source. But to use them with a Keyboard is a little tricky because the inputs and outputs are 1/8" line level. You would need Adapters and or Cable that adapts to both sources. I used a Monster Cable that I have that has RCA connectors on one end and an 1/8" TRS connector on the other end. Using my PSR 2000's "fixed level" outputs that have RCA connectors, I connected the 1/8" end of the cable into the Klipsch PRO Media's Line Level input, i.e. for connecting CD Players, etc..

I was astonished at the sound quality I heard coming from the Klipsch 2.1's. There was no distortion even when the sound levels were high. In fact, I didn't even have the volume knob on the PRO Media's at the half way point - (since the PSR 2000's fixed level outputs are regulated not from the Master Volume knob on the Keyboard but from the external source it is connected to), yet the SPL levels were way up there, i.e. (loud, loud) and not a hint of distortion.

So if you have the right Adapters and or Cabling there should be no problems filling a small size venue with adequate sound when using the Klipsch PRO Media 2.1's. That is if you can still find them for sale anywhere! Klipsch quit making the PRO Media 2.1's. They replaced them with something else that don't have near the wattage as the PRO Media 2.1's do.

And yes, the Horns do make a difference! A Tweeter can make all the difference in the World when it comes to reproducing sound. When a speaker just has Drivers, i.e. no Tweeters, or no Sub for that matter; it can leave a lot to be desired for creating well rounded sound for Live stage purposes. In the case of the PRO Media 2.1's - a Coffee shop, small Restaurant or large Living Room for stage purposes. If you need sound for a Gig or something other than a very small venue you would be wise to get PROfessionally made speakers that are intended for PRO audio sound, e.g. Mackie SRM 350/450's, EV's, Motion Sound, etc.

Another alternative is the Yamaha MSP5's or MSP10's. For a small venue the MSP5's would provide much more SPL levels (decibels) and are light weight also. Plus they have 1/4" inch connectors so you wouldn't necessarily have to fool with adapters when hooking up to a Keyboard. They also have a 1" [inch] pure Titanium Tweeter. And also High and Low frequency adjustments on the back of the speaker. I have the MSP5's also so I am speaking from a comparative standpoint. But the MSP5's are much more expensive of course. So if you're short on $$$ and need speakers for just relatively small venues, the Klipsch PRO Media 2.1's may be just the ticket. But don't think you can fill a large auditorium with adequate sound using the 2.1's. You could end up blowing them if you try, i.e. - KISS... Keep It 'Small'... you know the rest.

Best regards,
Mike

[This message has been edited by keybplayer (edited 01-05-2005).]