I really have a problem with buying a controller that makes no sound on it's own... maybe I'm old-fashioned in that sense. Digital pianos are going up in quality and coming down in price so if you want a good piano sound I would buy a digital piano rather than a controller. I like the idea of having an instrument as opposed to having a silent keyboard device that requires midi cables and outboard boxes to make music.

I recently bought a nice digital piano that I intend to use as a controller also: a Kawai ES4. Excellent sound and keybed action. But then to my surprise I located another cheapo digital piano that I also like: a Radio Shack Piano which only costs $299 USD (don't know if this is available in the UK or not, but it's also sold by Casio as the CDP-100). The sounds were marginally good but the action is great so I'm using that as a hammer-action controller now with my arranger keyboard on stage. True, I'm not using the internal sounds of this piano but at least I could if I ever wanted or need to. So the RS Piano is getting a nightly workout at the clubs and my new Kawai ES4 is enjoying center stage at home.

[This message has been edited by Esh (edited 03-06-2006).]