Interestingly enough, it's not the lyrics but the (chord) changes that more often throw my memory. I'm not talking about the simple I-vi-IV-V, I-vi-ii-V patterned tunes (those are easy ) but many other songs don't don't follow this pattern. In fact, there are literally many thousands of different predictable chord change patterns, as well as chord substitions used to provide an entirely different (and often more interesting) feel (harmony) to the melody.

You might be able to get-away with playing a continously REPEATING I-vi-IV-V progression (some songs actually require this: ei some 50's R&R 12/8 ballads), but for MANY other songs (beyond basic country & folk tunes), it's the un predictable chord changes (and chord substitions) that give the song its unique character. Simply playing I-vi-IV-V for these won't 'cut the mustard' professionally.

It's for those audience unusual song requests that having a 'chord chart' and/or lyric sheet handy to refer to (but of course NOT STARE at ) that can truly be a lifesaver. Hey, NONE OF US (no not even UD ) could possibly know and/or remember the lyrics & chords to 'EVERY SONG' out there.

Scott