Hi,

I believe that you simply need to keep hitting cancel (cancel or OK - I can't remember which one) when your computer comes up with that message. You may need to click the button 7 or 8 times before the message goes away. I think that it goes away forever after that and you should be able to access a SCSI CD Rom on your PC after that.

It is possible to load samples from your PC's CD Rom drive as long as it is SCSI. If you have a IDE CD Rom drive (which is what most pc's come with standard), then you will not be able to.

If you paid a million dollars for this machine, then you paid way too much ;-). Seriously, the E-5000 Ultra is very cheap when you compare it to an E-4XT or an E-4 Platinum. By adding all of the options, you come very close to the exact same spec as a E4XT. The only thing you miss out on is having 4 less outputs and 64 voice maximum polyphony.

Besides, you can pick up a cheap external SCSI CD Rom quite easily on E-Bay. A brand new one should cost no more than $100. I bought an internal SCSI CD Rom drive along with a external case for it for roughly about $100 a while back.

For data storage, you'll definitely want a dedicated SCSI hard drive. You cannot share a PC's hard drive for E-mu EOS-format data. You should research different storage solutions. You can get Zip, Jaz, Orb, Magneto-Optical, a standard SCSI hard drive, or even a IDE hard drive.

What I would recommend is buying the IDE hard disk kit for the E-5000 along with a IDE hard drive. IDE hard drives are going quite cheap for lots of storage nowadays. That is what I did. As money permits, in the future, you may want to buy a external removable SCSI hard drive like a Orb or Jaz for backups of your data. You will not be able to directly back up your internal IDE hard drive using your PC.

HTH,
Fernando