The G7 indeed has only 24 note polyphony, but the rep told me that it does NOT count the drums in that total. Drums have a dedicated ammount. (4, I think)
The G7 has terrific midi options for use with outboard gear, so if you wanted to use an external module - you'll have a really cool, workable system. The internal speakers are great, the mic preamp is terrific (with FX, and a 1/2 ass harmonizer)The piano sound is right on par with the Roland sound canvas stuff. SMF playback is soooo easy - you can change set lists on the fly - look for new tunes while one is playing, search the styles during playback - ANYTHING! This is the BEST keyboard at multitasking I've ever used. It NEVER locks up, even during the most intense operations.
The down sides:
1)no hard drive
2)poor harmonizer
3)limited visibility - LCD display is not too bright
4)Polyphony does tend to run out in layered situations, but not as bad as the 126 notes on the PSR9000! (it's true!)
5)no 3rd party support for styles yet
* * * Great bang for the buck, totally re-programable, lightweight and sounds great. I put it above the PSR740 in funtionality but slightly under for sounds. The sounds are lifelike, but basic.... not stunning. If you play standards and middle of the road stuff, there is plenty of variety....in a more modern vein, it's missing the hot new sounds that kids are impressed with. For tha you need an add on module.