So far, I've never been asked to play for a pre-ceremony "cocktail hour." Before the wedding service, sure...at which time I use only a piano-maybe some buried strings - and crank out the love songs the client has indicated they'd enjoy.

Usually, I save my vocals for after the
dinner is concluded. In my mind, anything prior to the "dancing" part of the evening, I'm background. Vocals, IMO, tend to push me more to the foreground than I think is appropriate. During the pre-dinner and dinner times, I'll do jazzy background stuff...with a handful of latin tunes tossed in.

After the dinner is over, at the reception, I'll introduce myself, do my opening remarks, etc, etc...and then treat it basically like a dance. Of course, I'll emcee the rest of the evening in terms of the various dances, etc.

Sometimes I've been asked to emcee the entire evening, which is fine...but I don't alter what I play and when I play unless I've got very, very specific instructions on how the client wants the night to go. Im my preliminary communications, I'll try & direct them toward the plan I think...

A) Best suits their wedding...

B) Will be the most successful based on my experiences...

Usually they listen, sometimes, not...

Bill

[This message has been edited by Bill in Dayton (edited 01-13-2005).]