Hey DJ, I hear your frustration. Headphones are really a necessity when it comes to Studio playing and recording. But they should all last longer than 6 months! I'm not sure how much you want to spend on Headphones but I would suggest if you can, to get some 'cans', ie., "those that fit over the 'entire' ear and those that have a "flat" frequency response. I use a pair of Sennheiser HD280PRo headphones. These headphones fit over the entire ear and block out much of the unwanted noise in the nearby vicinity. They have a very 'flat' frequency response which make them ideal for Recording, Mixing, and even Mastering your recordings. And, I have had them for over a year and not even a hint of a problem with them. The parts are replaceable and the headphones fold up for easy compact storage. You can get them at Guitar Center or over the Internet at Zzounds.com They retail for $199 but Zzounds and Guitar Center sell them for $99. Again, getting the best ones you can afford is my recommendation, especially if you do a lot of Recording, Mixing, and Mastering. Happy shopping!

Best regards.
Mike