Using my PC computer software sequencer, I recorded and played back my keyboard playing with the sequencer's timing resolution set at 960ppq). I then lowered (set) the timing resolution to 120ppq and played back the recording again and could hear a clear difference in the recording. The recording lost some of the original spark and live human sound which I had orginally recorded in "real time". This may seem like a subtle difference to some people, but having a finer note resolution will allow you to produce more life like sounding style patterns as well. Afterall, one key element to what makes legendary musicians sound special is how they might play ever so slightly behind/ahead of the beat or subtly accent grooves (anticipations/delays), etc. This really makes the music breathe and come to life. The higher the note resolution the greater ability to capture this magic. You may not conciously hear it, but you will certainly 'feel' the spontaneous (non quantized) sounding performance which closer matches the magic of the original performance.
- Scott