Quote:
Originally posted by Ensnareyou:
[B]... Check out the Mediastation and the Wersi if you have a dealer near you. Both should surprise you as to their capabilities.

[B]

I do agree that featurewise these two may come close to what I want - I would even settle for no speakers if the kb had most of the other features I need.

Not having a dealer locally is certainly a problem for me (or for those manufacturers who could have earned my business). Of all the major keyboard makers, I can only find Yamaha and Korg in the local shops. I understand that some 40 miles away there is a store which has a Genesys, though I have never had a chance to make my way out there. We used to have a store which carried Ketron, but it went out of business. One store had a G70, but going there is like visiting a car dealership - the salespeope swoop down on you and try to twist your arm into paying the exorbitant price for it ($5000) - in a word, a high stress experience. My situation is not unique, even though I live in the 5th largest metro area in the US.

I think that many of the less popular and underrepresented distributors, such as Liontracs and Wersi (and perhaps Ketron), would do well to start selling directly to the public (or perhaps through a dealer), and offer a resonable return policy (e.g. 30-45 days) - retailers do that, why not the distributors? I would not buy an expensive instrument without being sure that it will suit my needs, and I have found that a some instruments are implemented differently than others (e.g. for some reason, chord recognition on Korg does not resond to my fingerings as well as that on the Roland). The only way to try it is to do it at home, where I can put my time into testing it, not in the store where my time is limited, and people are peering over my shoulder.

Regards,
Alex