I usually only play the PSR2000 in ‘AI Fingered’ or ‘Fingered mode’. I would prefer to play in ‘full keyboard’ mode, but I’m really disappointed in the way the PSR2000 recognizes chords in ‘full keyboard’ mode. For some reason (in ‘full keyboard’ mode), when you play a chord inversion in the left hand and then play (with your right hand), any note one octave above one of the notes being played with the left hand (other than the chord’s root note), the chord is recognized as an ‘on bass’ chord. This means that if you play a 1st inversion C7 chord (E2-G2-Bb2-C3) with your left hand, and play (in your right hand), the note E3 or G3, the chord will be recognized as an ‘on bass’ chord C7/E and the auto accompanmint bass part will play an E note repeatedly. This in itself is not neccesarily bad, but it can sound jarring & inappropriate when playing a melody or soloing in the right hand, as the chord recognition (and associated bass pattern) will shift unexpectantly back and forth between C7 (C bass line pattern) and the C7/E ‘on bass’ note (single E note) as you play the scale: C3 – D3- E-3 – F3 – G3, A3 – Bb3 – C4. The Technics KN arranger keyboards (thankfully) do not implement ‘on bass’ chord recognition when playing in ‘full keyboard’ mode.

I’m trying to figure out if Yamaha intentionally implemented ‘on bass’ chord recognition in ‘full keyboard’ mode, or if it’s just a bug in the PSR2000 which needs to be corrected. Does the PSR9000 or 9000pro implement ‘on bass’ chord recognition in ‘full keyboard’ mode too? I personally think implementing 'on bass' chord recognition when in 'full keyboard' mode was a stupid idea as it can produce unexpected (unmusical) results.

I really would like to at least have the option to turn the “on bass” chord recognition feature (when in 'full keyboard' mode) off. I wonder if Yamaha would consider this in as OS update? The PSR2000 already includes a separate ‘on bass’ chord recognition mode , so I can’t figure out why Yamaha implemented this ‘on bass’ thing as a part of ‘full keyboard’ mode too. Interested in hearing from others regarding this.

- Scott
http://scottyee.com