this topic of the key beds and other parts failing is definitely interesting but I think everyone here is forgetting the point that most Yamaha owners don't really care (its not such a big issue)...

We are extremely happy and proud of our instruments that its not the end of the world if a $60.00 key strip fails once a year or in some extreme cases twice a year... ( I have yet to see one of mine fail)

I mainly see people who don't own Yamaha's to be the ones complaining about it more often

there is absolutely NO difference to playing a keyboard in a hall in front of people than playing it in your bedroom.. you aren't going to be hitting the keys or pressing buttons any harder just because your on a stage??

I spend at least 3 hours a day on my keyboard enjoying playing music and what not (more on weekends), how is that different to someone who plays a few gigs a week or even per day?

so this nonsense about a keyboard only being made for gigging purposes or home use is meaningless.

i believe the only aspect being beneficial of a metal casing over plastic is that when it gets bumped around or dropped it wont be prone to break as easy or crack...

heres a tip - don't drop your keyboard and swing around hitting brick walls!

If a Roland's key bed or button strip wont break as easy as a Yamaha then yes thats a great plus and a good assurance of quality, it is obviously deterring people from purchasing Yamaha products. But every board no matter what brand will have something that another board does not have (mine is the superior sound quality of Yamaha).

Nick