Tony,

Thanks for your 'full' report on the Roland and i40 chord recognition. In the meantime I just got through chatting with Uncle Dave and he came up with the same chord recognition results on his VA7.

Yeah, to my extreme disappointment, the Roland, Solton, GEM, and Korg boards do not recognize the chord voicing recognition I'm looking for. It seems like only Yamaha and Technics (so far) are able to recognize the more advanced 'jazz' chord voicings.

I am really impressed with Solton and Roland styles,GEM's WK8(SE) acoustic piano patch, and Korgs great overall sounds. It's just too bad that thesse manufacter's couldn't use the chord voicing map that Yamaha and Technics employ. Afterall, "how many" of you use my type of "chord voicings" to trigger the chords that Solton, Roland, Korg, & GEM seems to associate with them? I somehow can't figure how anyone would play a (F-C-E) chord to trigger a Fmaj7. I always thought it was imperative to include the 3rd of the chord when playing a chord voicing as that is the key to the overall quality (maj/min/aug) of the chord. The reason the root can be omitted in a jazz "comping" style is because the arranger triggers the auto accompaniment bass instrument to play the root. Yikes, Maybe I'm suffering from too much college "music theory" training".

Scott

[This message has been edited by Scottyee (edited 10-11-2000).]