[QUOTE]Originally posted by captain Russ:
[B]This finally got my attention. Excuse the redundancy if this has been covered elsewhere, but did I read that styles could not be edited? Believe it or not, folks, Im still using a 10 plus year old MS 60. Was thinking about the new SD-5, but this may be the ticket. I have two recurring jobs, and I could leave a controller at both and transport the Midjay.

Any downside to using Midjay? What do we give up?[QUOTE]

Russ, of course there are some downsides. I'm certain I will discover more as I get deeper into using it.
A couple that I've run across so far are:

1: The vocal harmonizer (which I don't even have yet) is a Vocoder. It reproduces the notes you play on the keyboard. No chord recognition, no female gender, no gimmicks.
2: The fills do not repeat when you hold the button down or activate them from the footswitch. They do on the SD1.
3: The screen is rather small, but can be connected to an external screen. That sort of defeats the purpose of the small package though.
4. The Styles can be edited as to voice, effects, volumes, panning, but can't be created.
5. You must have a light shining on the Midjay if you play in a dark location. Otherwise, you'd better remember which little button does what.
6. While the mic has dedicated e.q. (a step up from the SD1), you can only adjust the amount of the reverb and/or echo. They can't be edited or changed. They are good though.
7. When you go into RECORD mode, the mic goes "dry". You must open the mic screen and move the effects control a little to turn them back on. A.J. says it was designed that way on purpose, but I can't for the life of me understand what possible benefit it would have. Maybe they can address it in a future upgrade if enough people complain.

So far, the pluses very much outweigh the drawbacks, for me at least.

DonM