The "market" changes, and we have to also. In my collection of yearly jobs (I HATE the word gig ... sounds like a game)There is a wide variety of genres represented. I do some nursing homes, retirement centers, piano bars, dance clubs, corporate parties, cocktail parties, wedding services, wedding receptions, Bar/Bat Mitzvahs .... the list goes on. The key to longevity in this changing music scene is versatility. You need to have many hats and be ready to change them very quickly.

I don't do as many 1 hr shows (nursing homes etc.)as some of the other guys, because I have so many more "high intensity" type jobs that the afternoon shows just suck the wind out of my sails for the evening, but many players I know, do 1 or 2 almost every day. At an hour a pop, it's possible ... but I have a more intense schedule and try to avoid the doubles whenever I can. I do alot of doubles on the weekends, and that's PLENTY for me. I'm trying to reduce the number of engagements, while increasing the dollars as I get older. I need to be home more, and so far ... it's working out ok. My typical schedule gives me a steady $500-600 per week(Mon-Fri) WITHout private parties counted on weekends. Last year I did over 100 large scale dance/wedding type weekend parties at $600-750 per, and then there are all the little 1 hr jobs in between. ($100-125 each) That the best way I found to fill up the year with the numbers I need to feed my girls, and still be here to watch them eat.
It's almost to a point where I can just work the weekends and make ends meet. Not quite, but almost. After they all get married, I'm sure my wedding/party income will be plenty, so I can take off all week and visit my wife. Retirement??? NEVER! Not in the cards.
If you hustle - you can work as much as you want. The key is versatility. Be everything. (in other words ...act like your keyboards)