Quote:
Originally posted by tony mads usa:
Ahhh, MAN ..... the sound and FEEL of a live big band ... Here in RI there were 2 clubs you could go to on Monday nites to hear BIG BAND jazz ... now we're down to one, Bovi's, but it's still going strong on Mondays ... When I first started coming up here for business in the late '70s early '80s I would go to Allery's in Providence to hear Tony Giorgiani and Jazz Odyssey ... the band was made up of mostly local guys, lawyers, bankers, teachers, laborers, etc. with great chops and a love of great music ... sometimes guys who were on the road would sit in ... Tony's brother Joey would make you believe you were listenening to Maynard Ferguson when they played "Rocky" or "MacArthur Park" ...
I would sit in an old easy chair one row in front of the saxes ... no buttons, no pedals, no 'canned' styles or drum kits!!!
One nite I taped them on a portable cassette recorder ... even on that they sound GREAT!!

Angelo ... are you old enough to remember any of this?..
t.
PS: Being Monday nite, they would also have the tv tuned into Monday Nite Football, with no sound ... what a double header! ....
t

T.

I remember Tony Giorgianni! His drummer was Jackie Menna, and my old organ teacher played with him from time to time also. His name was Vince Carmen.