Considering a Psr740 ???
Here's what I think.
Overall it's a great value.
The speakers are improved over the former PSR series (630 and 730 ). If you audio out to an extenal amp the on board speakers can be used as monitors. I think it is a advantage.
I think that the Psr740 plays midi files very well for it's price range. You have access to all 16 tracks while the midi file plays making it easy to delete parts. Or isolate parts to help you learn a song or riff.
I would not recommend the 740 for sequencing.
I do think that it can be a nice scratch pad for idea's though.
The sounds are much better then anything Casio is coming out with. I played the New Casio's at Namm. They are just repackaged and look Cool. But Yamaha still rules with the Psr540,640 and 740 in there respected price points.
The 740 offers digital drawbars !
A groove feature that gives you multiple variations in addition to the 4 varitions (A,B,C,D ).
One of the coolest features I think with the 740,640 and 540 is the One Touch feature.
When you use this feature it will give you 4 suggested sounds and 4 suggested multi pads that musically interact with the styles. Totally cool. Turn off the arrangement after pressing the One Touch feature and have yourself some great layered sounds and multipads that interact as well.
I like it for the money. Dan O . Guitar Center in Baltimore.