Someone highly recommended styles by Peter Solley in an earlier thread. http://www.petersolleyproductions.com/ . I purchased six of these very expensive styles: Big Band 1, Beguine, Klezmer 1, Klezmer 2, Polka, and 60's Pop. Here are my thoughts:

Charting out some nuances of musical territory not explored by Yamaha, these styles might fill a void for some. Nevertheless, they are not in the same league as Yamaha internal styles. I had to do some intense editing to get them close.

These styles are probably created on a PSR740, so they only have 2 intros, 2 endings, 4 variations, and 4 fills. The voices don't include many of the new voices found on the PSR2000, PSR2100, PSR9000, and Tyros. Revoicing is necessary. With the style creator, it is possible to create a break section by borrowing parts from another style.

The drum fills on these styles are almost non-existent. You have to use the style creator to get drum fills from other styles.

Another thing I don't like about the Klezmer and polka styles is that there are some very involved clarinet parts on the C and D variations. Way too busy.

On one of the styles, the 7th chords played on the keyboard, don't sound right.

Another thing that makes these styles inferior to Yamaha styles is that the timing is too perfect - overly quantized. It is obvious that these styles weren't created on real midi instruments like Yamaha styles are. And there isn't any variation in the velocities of the style parts. The beguine style sounds nice, but kind of mechanical.

After, some intense editing and some style morphing, I got some new styles that I feel pretty good about. I needed a new polka. The klezmer styles will be good for the Jewish retirement homes I go to. The 60's pop style is a lot like 60'sGtrPop, but different enough to be appreciated. The Big Band style is so so. Fixing it up, it is pretty suitable for Mack the Knife.

I will use these styles. I don't regret getting them, but I do question the hefty price tag of $9. The person who recommended these styles raved about the blues styles. I don't do much blues, so I didn't have any reason to purchase them.

I hope Peter Solley continues making styles, but I won't purchase any more until I hear some improvements: Create real drum fills, make a break section, make the rhythms a little less mechanical, don't insert extra busy parts that make it impossible to sing over.

Beakybird