Quote:
Originally posted by Frank L. Rosenthal:
Roy-Andrč, you are right that the number of GBs alone do not determine the quality of the virtual instrument. However, all other things being equal it does. There are a number of variables which determine the size of the instrument, release samples, no looping, number of velocity layers, incorporating different characteristics via keyswitching (breath, key cliks, growls, bends, etc.) and so on. In other words one might refer to these as super SAVs. In the sampling world these instruments have been around for a number of years.

....but you are right that you can make very beautiful noises with relatively small byte size instruments. These are all great choices for musicians.

Frank,
I re-read my reply, and it looks like I'm second guessing you on the GB part. For the record, I'm not!!!!
I have learnt a lot from your posts here!
As you may know, I use the OnStage Performer for my file playing, that being wav-files. In turn, this means I can edit any type of midifile to make it the best, and it is in this aspect that I'm always searching for the best sounds around. I then render these to wav. Frank, you have been a great resource for me and others here!
Craig-UK
I use plug-ins all the time these days, and my experience is that better sounds make good midifiles sound great. I buy most of my files on the net, and these are for the most part very well programmed. But if I can enhance these with better sounds than you can find in arrangers or GM modules, then, great!
I also depended on lyrics, but with OP I don't care anylonger whether the files have lyrics, since it is so easy to do these in OnStage Performer.