My cousin got married last Friday and there was a very energetic solo performer at the reception. Here's a quick rundown of the affair:

First: He played a Yamaha psr550, almost totally sequenced. His song list was pasted on the music rack and the pile of disks were stacked up there with the list. He had about 300 songs of all styles.

Second: He played adequate guitar, through a Fender amp, and OK tenor sax through a second mic that was setup next to the kb, as if he had a partner. ( He did actually, when I joined him!)

Third: The sound system was all Yamaha. Top Box head, 2 15" cabinets on sticks. Pretty typical stuff.

OK, now for the routine:

He was a strong singer that came from a R&R band background. He was only doing the solo routine for 3 years, so I'm guessing that he might have beena front man of rhythm guitarist in that band. They played mostly oldies and classic rock.

Some of his song choices took me by surprise (Roadhouse blues during dinner), but all in all, he was well recieved. My only real critisism was the disk swap game. He covered his trax well in between songs, but there were too many times when he would have to shuffle the disks and push buttons while teh dance floor stood and waited.
Still....they waited. Hmmmmmm

I guess my point is:
We all have our own comfort zone in how we run a dance party. I'd be livid if someone had so much down time at an affair that I was paying for, but the crowd had a good time. They ate, they danced and the guy got paid. I guess that's what it's all abaout, right?

The psr550 did an pretty good job with the sequences. His bass was strong and tight, and the balance of the rest of the instruments was right on the money. Some songs sounded a little cheesy because of the styles chosen, and his limited kb chops, but the tempos were always right and the vocals were strong and heartfelt. That's the secret to success.
Do the right "type" of song -
at the right time, at the right tempo and sing it well ...... the rest is all fluff.

My cousin was stunning at 50 with her new husband and her new boobs( who knew? ). This was her best wedding yet!(3rd time's a charm, they say)

(announcer's voice)
"From the Ram's Head in Absecen NJ, this is Uncle Dave for Entertainment Tonight .... have a plesant tomorrow."

(fade to black)........