SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#498054 - 06/02/20 11:49 PM OT: A Blast from The Past
abacus Offline

Loc: English Riviera, UK
Mark Whale in Concert around the late 80s early 90s, Instrument is the Wersi Spectra which came out in 1987 and had various upgrades over its lifetime. (About 10yrs)

Enjoy

Bill

#498062 - 06/03/20 04:21 AM Re: OT: A Blast from The Past [Re: abacus]
Dnj Offline

headphone

Edited by Dnj (06/03/20 05:34 AM)

#498065 - 06/03/20 05:13 AM Re: OT: A Blast from The Past [Re: abacus]
abacus Offline

confused

#498081 - 06/03/20 10:20 AM Re: OT: A Blast from The Past [Re: abacus]
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
Still can't get friendly with the Wersi sound. Tried many times over the years, but putting arranger features into a theater organ is what I hear. I much prefer the arranger being the focus of the sound, with organ capabilities added in. Maybe it's a local thing - there are literally no places to see, or play these instruments near me. The only one I ever touched was a build at home kit that my friend assembled, and that reminded me of a Farfisa on steroids. That's just my take, but so far, there isn't a Wersi instrument I've heard that I'd buy at any price. BTW - Farfisa came a long way with THEIR arrangers, and made one unit that still performs well today. I think it was a G-7 - my friend still has one.

#498093 - 06/03/20 03:08 PM Re: OT: A Blast from The Past [Re: Uncle Dave]
abacus Offline

Originally Posted By Uncle Dave
Still can't get friendly with the Wersi sound. Tried many times over the years, but putting arranger features into a theater organ is what I hear. I much prefer the arranger being the focus of the sound, with organ capabilities added in. Maybe it's a local thing - there are literally no places to see, or play these instruments near me. The only one I ever touched was a build at home kit that my friend assembled, and that reminded me of a Farfisa on steroids. That's just my take, but so far, there isn't a Wersi instrument I've heard that I'd buy at any price. BTW - Farfisa came a long way with THEIR arrangers, and made one unit that still performs well today. I think it was a G-7 - my friend still has one.

You are not alone as it tends to polarise some people, however it is a European manufacture so does have its own way of doing things.
Interesting you mention the theatre organ, as every Wersi Owner (And fans of Wersi) all agree that they suck big time when it comes to emulating a theatre organ. (Just listen to a real theatre organ and you will soon come to the same conclusion)
I had been a fan of Wersi since I first heard them in the late 70s (A Franz Lambert Concert) however since the V2.00 update on the latest OAX instruments I would not now buy any of the latest instruments, as for me the V2.00 update has turned OAX into a £50 Casio, (Plus they can no longer be made to sound like any of the legendary Wersi organs of yesteryear) and not even the top artists can get a decent sound out of them.

Bill

#498107 - 06/03/20 07:01 PM Re: OT: A Blast from The Past [Re: abacus]
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
Hi Bill,
I'm glad you didn't think I was slamming the Wersi lineup. I think it might be a more local flavor, and yes, Europe is way ahead of the States in arranger love.
Maybe I chose the wrong term calling it a "theater organ" - I might have been referencing the more Lowery type home organ sounds, but I was trying to be nice.
Everything sounds pretty good today .... it's just like a box of crayons - they make 64 colors for a reason!

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online