SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#498004 - 06/02/20 06:40 AM VERSION 2 is up..."Cry of the Young"
Steve A Offline

Loc: Los Angeles, CA

The Arranger, errr Korg PA 4X seems to pull me in directions for a song I WOULD NEVER GO MYSELF...When I am tracking a song sometimes I have no idea what I'm gonna use STYLISTICALLY & from where. IT SEEMS I STUMBLE UPON SOME IDEAS ...

"Cry of the Young" was written 23 years ago for a play as a TITLE TRACK...With World Events & the riots, my daughter asked me for a copy of this 23 year old song to give to a Big Rapper friend of hers so I had to start working on a quick demo...My only prior release of the song was simply Piano, drums & vocal, so this version is way different from my original...

There is still work to be done on this track, (strings, elec guitar, Synth patch in final chorus, maybe some pads, BGV's etc) so if there is anything you may feel is out of place, or you have something to add, please bring it to my attention. Also, on my Home Demos I don't use pitch correction, I do old fashioned punch in, so if something on the VOX bugs you, now is the time to mention it. The keys clash a little in a couple of spots, & I will need to iron a couple spots out. (I am mixing on new headphones so I am sure my mix is off compared to my normal mixes. NOTE: I will fix the ending....The last half of the song needs a couple things, but not sure what yet,,,

Anyways, I will send it on to the Rapper immediately once completed, but concurrently, I am going to put this to VIDEO first myself & release an updated version.

"Cry of the Young"

#498008 - 06/02/20 07:48 AM Re: Using an Arranger to update a 23 year old song... [Re: Steve A]
Dnj Online   content

off the top of my head listening I would cut back a bit on the busy piano for starters.
it seems to be saturating the entire song. Or maybe try a nice EP instead.

#498010 - 06/02/20 08:10 AM Re: Using an Arranger to update a 23 year old song... [Re: Dnj]
Steve A Offline

Originally Posted By Dnj
off the top of my head listening I would cut back a bit on the busy piano for starters.

Is it in the beginning as well as when everyone kicks in? The Arranger playing I left in second half so there are two pianos there.

Also I used a piano with Strings which is probably the saturation. When I tracked originally I NEEDED THE STRINGS because of sparsse arrangement. Maybe I should swap the instrument as you say

#498013 - 06/02/20 08:56 AM Re: Using an Arranger to update a 23 year old song... [Re: Steve A]
Dnj Online   content

Originally Posted By Steve A
Originally Posted By Dnj

Is it in the beginning as well as when everyone kicks in? The Arranger playing I left in second half so there are two pianos there.

Also I used a piano with Strings which is probably the saturation. When I tracked originally I NEEDED THE STRINGS because of sparsse arrangement. Maybe I should swap the instrument as you say

Beginning is fine... it's when it all kicks in Piano/Sustain
is overbearing a bit..

#498015 - 06/02/20 09:05 AM Re: Using an Arranger to update a 23 year old song... [Re: Steve A]
Steve A Offline

Good...Cause I like the intro piano. Thanks for the being a sounding board...Gonna try a few things. I may totally lose the piano there as second verse comes in...Anyone else?

#498016 - 06/02/20 09:28 AM Re: Using an Arranger to update a 23 year old song... [Re: Steve A]
Dnj Online   content

Originally Posted By Steve A
Good...Cause I like the intro piano. Thanks for the being a sounding board...Gonna try a few things. I may totally lose the piano there as second verse comes in...Anyone else?

Good luck with this project Steve..

#498035 - 06/02/20 01:46 PM Re: Using an Arranger to update a 23 year old song... [Re: Steve A]
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
I really enjoyed it, Steve. Great job, and don't change a thing.

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#498082 - 06/03/20 10:37 AM Re: Using an Arranger to update a 23 year old song... [Re: travlin'easy]
Steve A Offline

Originally Posted By travlin'easy
I really enjoyed it, Steve. Great job, and don't change a thing.

Gary cool

Thanks for your angle on the song & taking the time to listen...I appreciate it

#498097 - 06/03/20 04:29 PM Re: Using an Arranger to update a 23 year old song... [Re: Steve A]
Steve A Offline

VERSION 2 is up

"Cry of the Young"

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online