SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 5 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5
Topic Options
#498161 - 06/05/20 12:29 PM Re: Piano learning apps [Re: Bachus]
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
You guys would have been thrown out of my old theory classes grin

Perfect fifth ..least important, not by a long shot..

The perfect fifth of the chord is your passing and lead in harmonics to the next chord.. Total emptiness.. There are no least important.. every harmonic that is added is important.

I would argue dropping the root would be better smile

#498176 - 06/05/20 01:33 PM Re: Piano learning apps [Re: Bachus]
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
no root = no definition. No identify. Ambiguous. Yes, all tones contribute, but the 3rd is more necessary to define a chord than a 5th. Bass players need/love the 5ths, and they should avoid doubling roots and thirds.

#498193 - 06/05/20 11:10 PM Re: Piano learning apps [Re: Fran Carango]
Bachus Offline

Originally Posted By Fran Carango
You guys would have been thrown out of my old theory classes grin

Perfect fifth ..least important, not by a long shot..

The perfect fifth of the chord is your passing and lead in harmonics to the next chord.. Total emptiness.. There are no least important.. every harmonic that is added is important.

I would argue dropping the root would be better smile

This sounds almost like perfect, almost as perfect as a round circle..

As to not changing the sound character of a chord, i think playing a diminished 5th has quite some impact on the sound of a chord? Strangely the 7th chord in a scale is a diminished chord..

Disagreeing with the fact that the choice of the 5th note doesn’t impact the character of the chord. But whats more important is that the diminished chords using the diminished 5th note is much less pleasing to my ears then playing the root with a perfect 5th. Thats why we don’t play a lot of diminished chords?

There is also the augmented 7th chord, in which there also is no perfect 5th..

Edited by Bachus (06/05/20 11:19 PM)

http://keyszone.boards.net

#498194 - 06/05/20 11:18 PM Re: Piano learning apps [Re: Uncle Dave]
Bachus Offline

Originally Posted By Uncle Dave
no root = no definition. No identify. Ambiguous. Yes, all tones contribute, but the 3rd is more necessary to define a chord than a 5th. Bass players need/love the 5ths, and they should avoid doubling roots and thirds.

Most piano players yet play a full octave in the bass, where playing a 5th and the root would often be more pleasing? Most of the time when i play a piece from a chord progression witouth leadsheet/piano music i stick to just the root note doubled by an octave.

http://keyszone.boards.net

#498197 - 06/06/20 04:57 AM Re: Piano learning apps [Re: Bachus]
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
Theory is math, and talking about it is boring ... UNTIL you put it into practice. All these points made have merit, and the slight disagreements that relate to importance are just chocolate vs vanilla. There are NO wrong notes. Every note goes with any other note .... it's all about the spacing, dynamics, and arrangement.
Play on, McDuff.

#498269 - 06/07/20 06:15 PM Re: Piano learning apps [Re: Uncle Dave]
rikkisbears Offline

Loc: NSW,Australia
Originally Posted By Uncle Dave
Originally Posted By Bachus
i kind of miss the fact that the perfect 5th is least important?

The 5th does nothing to define the "color" of the chord. It reinforces the fundamental but does nothing to denote Maj/Min. It provides added power, and strength to a chord, but with no 3rd, you have no key tonality. The Root, 3rd and 7th define the nature of a chord. The added "color" tones (2nds, 4ths, 6ths) provide more detail, and tension. In practice the Root and 5th work together to reinforce the overall tonality that is defined by the 3rd and 7th.

I wouldn't say that it's a case of more, or less important, as much as it is not as necessary in naming or defining a chord. Take organ stops as an example - the first 3 drawbars are 1-5-1, and used together, they sound like a solid tonic.

Hi,
sort of what I’ve been learning also in the Jazzedge beginner type courses, when using shells. 1&7 or 1&3. Playing full left hand chords in the lower registers can sound muddy. Suppose one could add 5th to r/h under melody?

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

#498270 - 06/07/20 06:16 PM Re: Piano learning apps [Re: Bernie9]
rikkisbears Offline

Loc: NSW,Australia
Originally Posted By Bernie9

Thank you Bernie.

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

Page 5 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5