SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#478472 - 10/22/19 08:54 AM What exactly can I load on the SX900?
leeboy Offline

Loc: Ocala, FL USA
So, If I get a 900...can I load/play:

1) Any Genos sounds (especially the pianos)?
2) Genos styles?
3) T1-T5 styles
4) Registrations from???
5) MIDI and Audio multi-pads from other models Tyros/Genos)

Thanks,
Lee

#478476 - 10/22/19 09:12 AM Re: What exactly can I load on the SX900? [Re: leeboy]
DannyUK Offline

Hi Lee,

I can't answer all your questions but I can say for sure that points 2, 3, 4 are definite certainties and they sound perfect as well.

Both Genos and T5 styles (including the audio styles from T5) sound great on the SX900 with no tweaking so far on anything I've tried, unlike how awful and sometimes unusable the Genos styles sound on a PSR S970/S975 for example (even after tweaking), so the SX900 certainly has the most up to date engine for compatibility.

All previous models from T4 below are perfect as well.

Midi pads work fine as I've been using some T5 ones and work great.

Not sure about Audio ones though as never used them.

If you're wanting to use any expansion packs from the S970 onwards, then they all work as well.

Edited by DannyUK (10/22/19 09:21 AM)

#478480 - 10/22/19 10:02 AM Re: What exactly can I load on the SX900? [Re: leeboy]
leeboy Offline

Loc: Ocala, FL USA
Danny,
OK, sounds pretty promising.
Thanks for the help...
Lee

#478489 - 10/22/19 12:39 PM Re: What exactly can I load on the SX900? [Re: DannyUK]
rikkisbears Offline

Loc: NSW,Australia
Originally Posted By DannyUK

Both Genos and T5 styles (including the audio styles from T5) sound great on the SX900 with no tweaking so far on anything I've tried, unlike how awful and sometimes unusable the Genos styles sound on a PSR S970/S975 for example (even after tweaking), so the SX900 certainly has the most up to date engine for compatibility.

All previous models from T4 below are perfect as well.

If you're wanting to use any expansion packs from the S970 onwards, then they all work as well.

Hi
I’ve been checking the assorted factory styles I’ve collected over many years, so far the only ones I’ve noticed that sound awful are psr 2000/2100 ( need a couple so I’ll fix them) , but, also haven’t had great success with the Genos styles that are missing on the sx900. Maybe the styles I have, have been altered, can’t be sure, I think it was the drums that made them sound off, have to recheck. Maybe I’ve done something wrong.
Psr 3000 onwards , plus the T series ,as you mentioned sound good.

The expansion paks you mentioned, they have to be updated, or they work as is?

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

#478492 - 10/22/19 12:56 PM Re: What exactly can I load on the SX900? [Re: leeboy]
CB from NZ Offline

The Genos has a lot more voices that are not on the Psr Sx900, so while it appears that the Genos styles maybe compatible, tthere will/maybe style parts missing( not even substituted !

#478494 - 10/22/19 01:44 PM Re: What exactly can I load on the SX900? [Re: CB from NZ]
rikkisbears Offline

Originally Posted By CB from NZ
The Genos has a lot more voices that are not on the Psr Sx900, so while it appears that the Genos styles maybe compatible, tthere will/maybe style parts missing( not even substituted !

Hi,
that could well be the case. It certainly was for tyros styles played on my S950 . I could have fixed them, but most of the time I didn’t bother unless I needed it.

The T series does appear to play pretty well on the sx though, a think the scat voices on the sx, may have solved some of missing voice problems that the earlier psrs had.
Again, only worth checking if I need a particular style.

A lot of the Genos styles are on the sx anyway, so if there’s an odd one I want, just have to try to tweak it.

Just handy to know there’s extra styles out there, if there isn’t a suitable one in the sx.

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

#478496 - 10/22/19 01:52 PM Re: What exactly can I load on the SX900? [Re: rikkisbears]
DannyUK Offline

Originally Posted By rikkisbears

Hi
I’ve been checking the assorted factory styles I’ve collected over many years, so far the only ones I’ve noticed that sound awful are psr 2000/2100 ( need a couple so I’ll fix them) , but, also haven’t had great success with the Genos styles that are missing on the sx900. Maybe the styles I have, have been altered, can’t be sure, I think it was the drums that made them sound off, have to recheck. Maybe I’ve done something wrong.
Psr 3000 onwards , plus the T series ,as you mentioned sound good.

The expansion paks you mentioned, they have to be updated, or they work as is?

Hi Rikki,

The Genos styles I have are the factory ones that have not been modified. I've tried some of the missing styles and they sound OK, the drums are playing but I can see in some of the styles that some tracks do need tweaking but not heavily from what I can see.

If you have a set of Genos styles that have been tampered with then I think they would sound worse, so ideally you'd want to use the ones taken straight from the Genos without modification.

As for the expansion packs, they just need converting as they won't play directly from download, you will need to load them into YEM first, then also upload your instrument key into YEM as well for it to convert the packs to use in your keyboard.

#478504 - 10/22/19 02:58 PM Re: What exactly can I load on the SX900? [Re: DannyUK]
rikkisbears Offline

Originally Posted By DannyUK
Originally Posted By rikkisbears

Hi Rikki,

The Genos styles I have are the factory ones that have not been modified. I've tried some of the missing styles and they sound OK, the drums are playing but I can see in some of the styles that some tracks do need tweaking but not heavily from what I can see.

If you have a set of Genos styles that have been tampered with then I think they would sound worse, so ideally you'd want to use the ones taken straight from the Genos without modification.

As for the expansion packs, they just need converting as they won't play directly from download, you will need to load them into YEM first, then also upload your instrument key into YEM as well for it to convert the packs to use in your keyboard.

Hi Danny,
Thank you.
I don’t know whether the styles have been altered or not, maybe some of the comments I read on the psr forum was more to do with the ability of the sx being able to load Genos styles rather than the quality with which it played them. ( or maybe I’m plain too fussy haha).

I finally downloaded Yem, and all the freebie paks, so see how I go. I think they were all for the sx anyway, so it probably should work ok.

Thanks again Danny.

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online