SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#478463 - 10/22/19 12:43 AM Re: Style recognition? [Re: Bachus]
abacus Offline

Loc: English Riviera, UK
I think Bachus is after how the style is made up and to how it was created rather than choosing a suitable style to match, (Which he already does) which is explained in the link I posted, (AS well as the books mentioned) however Rikkis idea of recording the style from the arranger to see what makes it, is also a good idea.
I have attached a simple demo below

Bill

Attachments
Drum styles.pdf (43 downloads)

#478464 - 10/22/19 01:20 AM Re: Style recognition? [Re: abacus]
Bachus Offline

Originally Posted By abacus
I think Bachus is after how the style is made up and to how it was created rather than choosing a suitable style to match, (Which he already does) which is explained in the link I posted, (AS well as the books mentioned) however Rikkis idea of recording the style from the arranger to see what makes it, is also a good idea.
I have attached a simple demo below

Bill

Thanks Bill, thats exactly what i am after..

The drum parts are a major part of the style
But also the bass and chords (. Guitar/piano/organ) apply to certain rules..

There is a lot of sheets with rythms available
But not a lot of written texts explaining why and what,,

I did a deepdive into some of my old organ books, and there was also quite some information in them..

Edited by Bachus (10/22/19 01:24 AM)

http://keyszone.boards.net

#478465 - 10/22/19 03:09 AM Re: Style recognition? [Re: gambler]
Bachus Offline

Originally Posted By gambler

Originally Posted By Bachus
Originally Posted By The Saint
Bachus, I think you have partly answered your question when you say "you just take a style that sounds good with the song". (and also what John said).
That is an important part of this topic, to do what feels good to you, and that will most times feel good to others.
There is no "one size fits all" in this case, many styles and sounds can give a good result.
Example, i have three different registrations saved for Fly Me To The Moon. One is slow Latin, another is mid big band, and another is fast jazz trio, (piano drums and bass),all tweaked to my liking, and I enjoy playing all three, depending on my mood at the time.

Ray dance

Thats what i love to do.. most of the time with greatresults ... but
Thats not what i am looking for..

I am looking for the musicall theory behind these musical styles/rhytms..

Some are obvious, like 8beat vs 16beat..
but what defines a foxtrot?
Where does a slow waltz differ from an English wals?

Maybe i am to much of a techhead, allways looking for thetheory behind things..

Hi Bachus,

I don't really think there is a theoretical answer as such in relation to how you choose a style in which to play a particular piece of music.

All the different styles you mention such as Viennese waltz come from various times throughout history. For example a quick search reveals the Viennsese Waltz originated in the 18th century and is played at approxiately 180 bpm while an English or slow waltz is played at approximatley 90 bpm. It would appear that the slow waltz was first danced around the 1920's. Likewise you can look at Rock and Roll that originated around the late 1940's all the way up to present day Edm styles.

Personally l think one of the most helpful factors that would help to determine which style, would be how the composer of the original piece of music actually wrote the piece and the time period it came from. Apart from that, what everyone else has already stated is it's really down to personal choice, as there are probably numerous styles that would suit an individual piece of music. One piece of music that springs to mind that I like to play is, Somewhere my love. l've played it in an Andre Rieu Viennese waltz style, slow waltz, 12/8 and a medium swing style. All of them work in different ways, so for me there is really no roght or wrong, basically just go with the flow with whatever you think sounds right and enjoy playing.

Kind regards,

Russ

Thanks Russ,

I am not as much interested in which style to choose, as that can be done quite well by just listening..

But i would love to have more background on styles, and how to program/play them.. and in that way learn to recognise them better..

The once i named where just examples, could also have been slowfox, foxtrot and swingfox... or just a Beguine, what defines a beguine?

I also found that styles are not just the rythm.. but also the bass is an important part as well as accompaniment patterns like guitar, piano, accordeon, strings...

Anyway, its a new chapter in my musical book...

http://keyszone.boards.net

#478491 - 10/22/19 12:43 PM Re: Style recognition? [Re: Bachus]
ekurburski Offline

Loc: Mountain Home, AR
Years ago I ran across a drum book on different basic beats for different rhymes. No idea what it was but would love to find it again. It also seems like this info should be available in a book on arranging for big band. This is a good subject for more study. Hope we get some more answers to your basic question.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online