SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4
Topic Options
#474906 - 08/23/19 03:18 PM Re: What do you when you get stiffed? [Re: montunoman]
rikkisbears Offline

Loc: NSW,Australia
Hi Montunoman,
Happened to me, a bouncing cheque . I used to sell my second hand keyboards in the paper.s back in the 80’s / 90’s. A guy rang up wanting to buy my electric piano, told him cash only. He had a 2 hour drive to come pick it up so it was late evening. He and his girlfriend arrive, she was driving , he was drunk. Excuse for only half payment in cash was , the cash machines, would only hand out $1000, which was true. The other half he wrote a cheque. My husbands a paraplegic and I had 2 teenage boys in the house, didn’t want to get in an argument with a drunk.

2 days later, cheque bounced, which I half suspected it might. One day after that I got a phone call from the guy, apologising profusely for the bouncing cheque. Someone hadn’t paid him for a job, and he hadn’t realised the money hadn’t gone into his account. I gave him details of an account to put cash into, and I had my money by lunchtime. So, sometimes things do work out.

Either way, I stopped selling stuff in the paper, gave me a scare, not so much the bouncing cheque, but who could arrive at one’s home.

P.s my earlier post. That’s how my husband got away with sitting outside the guys house tooting his horn, to try and get payment. Who’s going to call the cops if you’ve dudded a guy in a wheelchair trying to earn a living?

Edited by rikkisbears (08/23/19 03:22 PM)

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

#474915 - 08/24/19 10:02 AM Re: What do you when you get stiffed? [Re: montunoman]
montunoman Offline

Loc: Dallas, Texas
Hi Rikki, thanks for sharing your experience. I’m glad both you and your husband got your payments. It can be a hassle and I suspect most musicians have to deal with this stuff.... For now things are fine at the restaurant, but I am weary and see a few red flags.... Just taking it day by day.

www.youtube.com/channel/UCV94i--V-A8kZShmGTKyDOw

https://www.facebook.com/elgrupocache

#474919 - 08/24/19 09:30 PM Re: What do you when you get stiffed? [Re: montunoman]
rikkisbears Offline

Loc: NSW,Australia
Hi,
Suppose it’s a case of not getting too far ahead, without receiving payment. Be wary, as you mentioned.

We were in the building industry for about 40 years, and the horror stories from some of the poor contractors were heartbreaking. Builders leading the contractors on, getting them to work, promising payment, then they’d file for bankruptcy, and the ones left holding the bag were the owners and contractors .

There are rotten people out there, but the good ones , do help make up for it.

Good luck.

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

#474920 - 08/24/19 09:55 PM Re: What do you when you get stiffed? [Re: montunoman]
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
I've been accidentally given several bad checks over the years. He always made it up plus extra.
Times are better now and I like to think part of it is because I stuck with him.

#474923 - 08/25/19 05:02 AM Re: What do you when you get stiffed? [Re: DonM]
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
Originally Posted By DonM

Times are better now and I like to think part of it is because I stuck with him.

No doubt about that, Don ...

#474939 - 08/25/19 10:23 PM Re: What do you when you get stiffed? [Re: montunoman]
Mark79100 Offline

Loc: USA
Paul and anyone else....I forgot to add something extremely important.

When you are dealing in money matters (and not just MUSIC money matters), ALWAYS find a way to get a check from the other person. Example: if you want me to play this date for you, please send me a $10 token deposit as a measure of good faith.

That payment I had to wait a year for where they attached her pay check, took a year BECAUSE they had to "attach her paycheck" on a weekly schedule. If I had any kind of a personal check from her to present a copy of it to the judge, showing her bank account number and bank, the judge could and would have issued an order to the Sheriff to "withdraw" the monies owed from her bank account.

If there is any "trouble in Paradise," and you have to go into litigation, and you win, and the defendant still refuses to pay, you now have the persons bank account #. The judge will order the money to be removed from her bank account and into your pocket!

In later years I took to advising a person I am recording, with a pocket recorder, the part of the conversation where we are entering into an "oral" agreement (over the phone OR in person). It's as good as a written contract. The whole thing is a classic "necessary evil!"

#474945 - 08/26/19 12:15 AM Re: What do you when you get stiffed? [Re: montunoman]
bruno123 Online   content

Loc: West Palm Beach, FL 33417
My thought was to move on – it was an experience, I learned something.

There are 24 hours in a day, and I try my best to spend those hours in a place that will bring a positive attitude. I am not saying that anyone is wrong here, I just want to enjoy living with a positive nature, it’s more fun. There’s enough gloom and doom going on in the rest of the world, why add to it.

I love reading a post that makes me feel good –thank you Don M. That is what makes him so popular, he is a positive person.

John C.

Edited by bruno123 (08/26/19 12:18 AM)

#474962 - 08/26/19 08:36 AM Re: What do you when you get stiffed? [Re: bruno123]
captain Russ Offline

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
Not music, but I once had a problem when I was doing retail commercials for a jewelry store. The owner was a friend, but a terrible manager. Past due balances quickly grew to the point where I new I had a problem. Media bills (what you owe TV and radio stations) are due on the 10th of the month whether you are paid or not. When the last straw point was reached, I took a brown paper bag, went to the store and in front of customers, employees and the owners, I took the $62,000.00 in jewelry. It was easy. That merchandise is "triple keystone", meaning marked up 300%. I just credited the store with 1/3 of the price on the tag and put $180,000.00 retail in the bag and walked out. Sold the stuff and actually made a few thousand.

To this day, I look down at the 2 carat ring I wear, knowing that I would NEVER be that extravagant, and break into a BIG SMILE.

JERK!

R.

Edited by captain Russ (08/26/19 01:17 PM)

#474963 - 08/26/19 08:37 AM Re: What do you when you get stiffed? [Re: montunoman]
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
Many good thoughts have been given here. I try to give people the benefit of the doubt, but sometimes it's just smart to write off a loss as the cost of doing business. It's just another business expense, and hopefully it taught you a lesson about dealing with that particular client. Remember that saying ...
"Don't sweat the small things .... and don't pet the sweaty things? smile (That client sounds like a sweaty thing)

#474965 - 08/26/19 09:00 AM Re: What do you when you get stiffed? [Re: montunoman]
124 Offline

Right on, Dave. Nine out of ten are genuine mistakes. The odd one is always remembered and mentioned to other musos around town. Word of mouth is a powerful tool, and it works both ways.

Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online