SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#468611 - 04/13/19 08:22 AM Anyone using an iPod for Mp3's & KB?
Dnj Offline

Anyone using an iPod for Mp3's & KB/w/vocals?

I know a laptop is the fastest way to play Mp3's and SEARCH for songs
for some reason all the tablets I have tried just are to slow and awkward for searching for songs while playing, always swiping up/down, quirky things always happening etc,... with a laptop using files its easy as pie with folders, highlight songs, or just hit the letter you need and that will bring instantly to the first song beginning with that letter in the list...cursor down to song hit enter done....nothing works better for my needs. But....

Now back to the iPod classic 80G/120G etc,.... it's a very handheld portable and I love the search wheel to get to Mp3 songs, backing tracks, break music, etc,.... sometimes when no keyboard is needed situation, ( KB setup in main room eg:wedding,etc, and cocktail hr is in another or outside) you can easily just take a small speaker like the TC helicon FX150, Mic, & iPod classic and sing to tracks, or just play background songs, during the 1 hr cocktail hr, etc, NH,
or whatever and quickly return to main room for the rest of the affair 3,4,hrs etc.. the iPod classic is certainly a
hand held swiss army knife to carry wherever you go .....
would love to hear if anyone here uses one or if not what devices and why do YOU use them in these situations..?

Thoughts? cool2

Attachments
s-l300.jpg

Edited by Dnj (04/13/19 08:34 AM)

#468615 - 04/13/19 08:51 AM Re: Anyone using an iPod for Mp3's & KB? [Re: Dnj]
Bernie9 Offline

Loc: Port Charlotte,FL,USA
I used to use a Sandisk Sansa when I was using gear without a dedicated player, but I prefer to have my CDG and MP3 in my keyboard and in set lists or folders, mainly, unlike you, I pre-plan my programs, and don't jump around very much.

#468617 - 04/13/19 08:58 AM Re: Anyone using an iPod for Mp3's & KB? [Re: Dnj]
sparky589 Offline

Loc: NJ
I use Sony's version for between set music.

#468618 - 04/13/19 08:58 AM Re: Anyone using an iPod for Mp3's & KB? [Re: Dnj]
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
I didn't want to ignore the post just because I personally would not have a use for this, but I did want to comment on this statement:
"I know a laptop is the fastest way to play Mp3's and SEARCH for songs
for some reason all the tablets I have tried just are to slow and awkward for searching for songs while playing, always swiping up/down, quirky things always happening etc,... with a laptop using files its easy as pie with folders, highlight songs, or just hit the letter you need and that will bring instantly to the first song beginning with that letter in the list...cursor down to song hit enter done....nothing works better for my needs. But...."

I will start by saying that I have never used a laptop for a gig, but I have been using the Pro 12 Tablet via midi with the Pa900 for some time now and it works no differently than how you describe your laptop as working ... all of the above "laptop features" you mention are available on the Pro 12, and since I don't believe in 'jinxes', I will say that I've not had any 'quirky' things happen ...

My guitar player friend in NJ has recently started using one (after much encouragement from me) and he is using it to play backing tracks and since he uses 'charts' he even has it set up to scroll with the track ... I will be playing a couple of gigs with him in May and I'm anxious to see how it works out ...

But use all the tools available that suit your needs ...

And now back to the iPOD ...

#468620 - 04/13/19 09:02 AM Re: Anyone using an iPod for Mp3's & KB? [Re: Bernie9]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By Bernie9
I used to use a Sandisk Sansa when I was using gear without a dedicated player, but I prefer to have my CDG and MP3 in my keyboard and in set lists or folders, mainly, unlike you, I pre-plan my programs, and don't jump around very much.

Thanx for the reply Bernie but I could never pre plan anything as I always fly on the cuff using my repertoire because you never know what is going to happen at a gig, just like a quarterback calling an audible wink.....always watch the audience & let it dictate what it needs to make it a successful job. I never had more then 1 or 2 seconds in dead time between song time ever.
That's why it's critical to be able to access songs instantly from what ever device you use........

#468621 - 04/13/19 09:27 AM Re: Anyone using an iPod for Mp3's & KB? [Re: tony mads usa]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By tony mads usa
I didn't want to ignore the post just because I personally would not have a use for this, but I did want to comment on this statement:
"I know a laptop is the fastest way to play Mp3's and SEARCH for songs
for some reason all the tablets I have tried just are to slow and awkward for searching for songs while playing, always swiping up/down, quirky things always happening etc,... with a laptop using files its easy as pie with folders, highlight songs, or just hit the letter you need and that will bring instantly to the first song beginning with that letter in the list...cursor down to song hit enter done....nothing works better for my needs. But...."

I will start by saying that I have never used a laptop for a gig, but I have been using the Pro 12 Tablet via midi with the Pa900 for some time now and it works no differently than how you describe your laptop as working ... all of the above "laptop features" you mention are available on the Pro 12, and since I don't believe in 'jinxes', I will say that I've not had any 'quirky' things happen ...

My guitar player friend in NJ has recently started using one (after much encouragement from me) and he is using it to play backing tracks and since he uses 'charts' he even has it set up to scroll with the track ... I will be playing a couple of gigs with him in May and I'm anxious to see how it works out ...

But use all the tools available that suit your needs ...

And now back to the iPOD ...

Tony thru the years I have used and demoed many tablets iPad/Android etc, etc, all sent back, ...not one filled my needs for easy access and instant SEARCH features in split second situations while jumping from kb playing, backing track, dj'ing etc,..
I repeat nothing
.....and if that does exists as you say I would have to see it used live in a performance situation with 1 or 2 second dead time between songs searching ..for my needs the TABLET never could keep up. Fingered touch screen does not compare to Tactile buttons on a laptop. Glad your enjoying your Tablet it's just for my needs in any way.

Edited by Dnj (04/13/19 09:29 AM)

#468622 - 04/13/19 09:36 AM Re: Anyone using an iPod for Mp3's & KB? [Re: Dnj]
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
Donny ... to each his own ...

#468629 - 04/13/19 10:21 AM Re: Anyone using an iPod for Mp3's & KB? [Re: tony mads usa]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By tony mads usa
Donny ... to each his own ...

Tony for a long time I did things I thought were right.....
until other pro musicians showed me so much better
ways of doing it. Watch, absorb, learn, wink
We all learn from each other, I know I did.

#468630 - 04/13/19 11:14 AM Re: Anyone using an iPod for Mp3's & KB? [Re: Dnj]
Riceroni9 Offline

Loc: TX, USA
I have an iPad now kept off-line and out of Apple's grasp for playing chess and solitaire. Never owned an iPod but wanted one earlier in life but finally decided it was too expensive and restrictive.

Instead, I took a Samsung "Smart Phone" and use it in Airplane Mode only to hold many of my songs in MP3 format. Gives me a chance to listen in private and figure out ways to improve a recording... or not!

Great topic, Donny.

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online